My Sunday Best

09:14 , 2 Comments

You know why I’m never excited about going to church? I never feel comfortable there! It’s either the church ‘faithfuls’ who were privileged to meet Christ before me always make me feel like I’m on the lower rungs of this faith ladder; like they pity me for meeting Christ this late. Sometimes, it’s that occasional furtive glance I get when I turn up in church looking like a “sinner”-I decided to wear jeans today instead of donning my “Sunday Best”. Pardon my abysmal ignorance about things of the spirit, but why must Sunday be my best day? Why must I behave differently on Sunday when all week long I’ve been my ‘normal’ self? I want to be normal on Sunday too. I don’t want to have to conform to the Sunday kind of dressing. Ok, If I sing to you while I’m wearing jeans, will it make you less delighted that I’m at least trying to praise you?

Well, it's not just about the garb. What I know is that most of these judgmental folks simply put on their "Sunday Best" behaviour, but as soon as they get home, they remember they haven't battered the house-maid or, well, lashed out at their spouses. Going by what I just said, "Sunday Best" isn't apt, is it? The "best" never lasts till Sunday evening. So, what should the appropriate term be? "Church Best"? Why are most of your children nowadays only at their best inside your house, Father? Why do they switch to their other personalities outside the house? Is this some sort of multiple personality disorder? Is this a sign that they do not feel free around the house? Didn't you tell me the other time that all your children should be free around you and with you? I want to behave the same way all week long! I want to put on my Sunday Best all week long. I'm no chameleon!

2 comments :

  1. i agree with you 100%. the average Christian has a multiple personality disorder (MPD). I believe whatever i can't say in the house of God, i should not say it anywhere, whatever i can't wear in the house of God, i should not wear it anywhere and whatever i can't eat in the house of God, i should not eat it anywhere. So i have heard Christians say certain things like "don't talk like that, you are in the house of God" or "give me a break, we are not in church". If it can't be done in church, it shouldn't be done anywhere.

    I believe Christ does not want us to try to play different with him on certain days, He wants us to be the same everyday of the week, all year long. Isn't He the same yesterday, today and forever? and if we are to be his likeness, them we must imbibe that unchanging personality of God.

    We as Christians need to understand the fact that we are individually a mobile church,and that Christianity is not a garment or garb you put on and pull off at will.

    I also think this MPD is the reason why non-Christians do not take Christians seriously.
    Truth be told, i would rather be a un-believer that is true to himself than a Christian who is an hypocrite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!MPD is a serious problem around the church...and like you said, it's the most potent weapon the unbelievers have in their arsenal.

    ReplyDelete